Label or literature?

Was six dollars really worth six pre-made pancakes? Probably not. I don’t believe you can put a value on nutrition, but in this case, I was simply being a dumb consumer. I have started to truly care that one third of Americans will develop diabetes AND our generation is the first to have a shorter life expectancy than the one before us.

Maybe you don’t think these things are important. If that’s the case, I implore you to watch Food Inc. I have started to shop for organic foods, the officially healthy foods. But I scuba in murky water. I have the tools, my air, regulator, and bc- the food labels- but they can be really confusing. I guarantee that organic Twizzlers are not healthier than the original in any real way.
Have you ever read the ingredients off of a package of oreos? I have not, because the thought of what’s in them is too scary, even though I wouldn’t recognize a tenth of the chemistry jargon. Yet when I’m in the supermarket, my eyes scan for the words organic and free-range. It seems pretty straight forward. No pesticides or no harsh conditions, albeit a higher price. But as always, the market supply has met demand with a myriad of new, deceptive terminology, ready to please the consumer’s newly-surfaced guilt factor.

The cows that produced this milk roamed in actual pastures, no growth hormones. Rosie, this chicken was fed an organic diet. Picked fresh from the nutritious soils of the South yadayada. Well, awesome, we might think. It’s really nice to know where your stuff is coming from, and how it was made, but not how it felt, not what its name was. Food labels could replace television. While its important to appreciate where your meal came from where your protein came from, what can you actually quantize about a cow that was ‘kept from experiencing unnecessary fear?’
From the other direction, why aren’t pesticides on the food label? Is that not what ends up in our milk? Is that not in what we drink? Why doesn’t ‘risk of salmonella’ come after straight after high-fructose corn syrup on cookie dough. Diabetes should appear on the McDonald ingredient sheet. What actually IS hamburger filler, and why do we settle for factory-made food components?

This entry was posted in Opinion and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.